Monday, March 17, 2014

PINCH ME

Just kidding, if you do it I will kick your arse.
For real.
I decided to make a yummy Irish meal for my friends but was really wanting to 
stay away from the ol' corned beef & cabbage.
After scouring the inter-web I found a hot pot recipe
called Dublin Coddle.

Meat & Potatoes 



Ingredients:

8 medium sized red potatoes
2 large onions 
4 sausages
8 strips of cooked thick cut bacon
2 1/8 cup of water
1 chicken, beef, or ham cube
olive oil
Fresh parsley
salt
pepper


Directions:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees

Peel and quarter the potatoes & put to the side.


Boil the water and the stock cube.
I bought this broth base and used 2 teaspoons of it, so much
better than the stock cubes.


After it comes to a boil and is mixed well turn off the heat.
To save space & speed up on cooking time I threw the potatoes into the broth & let them sit in there until I needed them.


Then take your sausages and brown them on all sides.



I ended up chopping the sausage into large pieces so they could 
be browned all over, once finished put those to the side.

Now take the onions & slice them into large rings.


Put a small amount of olive oil in your pan & cook the onions until
almost translucent. 

Once everything is finished cooking assemble them in an oven safe 
dutch oven, or something similar.


Layer the ingredients: onions, sausage, cooked bacon, potatoes, parsley, salt & pepper.






Once all the ingredients are in the pot pour the chicken stock over the meat & veggies.

Cook it in the oven for around 2 hours or until the potatoes are soft.



3.5 out of 5 
✭✭✭⭐︎☆

Taste Testers:

LAUREN: I was skeptical of this dish, I was thinking everything would be the same soggy consistency. BOY was I wrong. The top layer especially was crispy, the bottom layers were not as crispy but were still good. The flavor was right on, none of the ingredients overpowered the others. Nice balance. We ate it with potato bread, which made it even better. If this is what they eat across the pond, send me over.

CJ:  This was super hearty with really great broth.  It was delicious with the potato bread.  I love bacon, but it took on sort of a long, soggy, and limp characteristic that could maybe have been improved by chopping it smaller.

MARY: I ate every bite, I licked my plate clean.

NATHAN: The potatoes were spot on in texture along with the sausage chunks. Perhaps the bacon could have been sprinkled on top to add more of a crunch and bring out the flavor more than baked along with the dish.

No comments:

Post a Comment